Cross-border long distance moving - United States (US)/Canada Moving

Cross Border Moving Company To & From Canada & US

At Westmount Moving, we provide businesses and residents with cross border moving solutions. Whether you’re moving to Canada from the USA or moving to the USA from Canada, we are here to help. As a cross border moving company based out of Ottawa-Gatineau, we have been in the moving business since 1938, and have many decades of experience facilitating some of the most complex Westmount Moving moves.

We work by your side during the entire cross border moving process. From the beginning we consult you on all the necessary trucks needed, provide packing and organizational tips, and also coordinate the necessary paperwork needed for cross border immigration and transportation. We take the stress out of moving to another country, and truly make the transition from one home to the next a simple and exciting experience!

US – Canada Moving (Moving to Canada)

When moving from the United States to Canada, we deliver your goods to your new home as soon as your belongings have cleared Canadian customs. Once the truck has reached customs, you will be contacted by the truck driver and instructed to report to your designated border patrol office to make necessary customs declarations. There are various documents that are required in order to clear customs, these usually include:

  • An American Work Visa
  • Your Passport
  • Photo ID of transporter and spouse
  • Marriage certificate if spouse has a different name
  • Employer’s letter of intent
  • 2 copies of personal inventory listing, including current value in Canadian dollars
  • Copy of Bill of Lading including completed Declaration of Value

Canada – US Moving (Moving to US)

Unlike moving to Canada from the United States, moving to the United States from Canada is slightly less complicated. Your goods can cross the border without you being present, as the truck or van operator is able to declare your items for you. However, if US customs identifies any issues with your shipment, it will be placed in bond and held at customs until you clear the goods in person. To avoid delays, we recommend that our clients cross the American border before the truck and clear customs, identifying that your household items are coming after you. This way, any immigration paperwork that needs to be completed will be done so beforehand and the cross border procedure will go much smoother and will keep our schedule on time.

Traditionally, the required documents to move to the United States from Canada include:

  • Valid Passport
  • Work or Study Visa and Letter of Offer of Employment
  • Proof of Property Ownership or Lease in the USA (for part time residents)
  • Proof of Canadian residence (for part-time residents)

For more information, call Westmount Moving at 613-742-7555. We would be happy to provide you with a consultation, and explain our cross border moving services to you in more detail.